- About Us
- Gaming / Mobile
- Virtual Worlds
- Social Media
- Badging Systems
- Past Projects
- Professional Services
[IJC] Official Opening of the International Justice Center Today!
Welcome to the website of the International Justice Center, a virtual clearinghouse for public education and action in support of the International Criminal Court (ICC) and related human rights concerns. Based both here on the web and in the virtual world of Second Life, the International Justice Center will host news, information and live events in support of the ICC.
Today we will be hosting a series of events as part of our official launch, featuring an address by the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo. After an introduction by Mr. Lloyd Axworthy, the former foreign minister of Canada, the prosecutor will appear "in-world" in avatar form to address the virtual audience, followed by a Question and Answer period.
Schedule of Events
- 3:00-4:00 PM EST: In-world remarks and Q&A with ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo. Mr. Lloyd Axworthy, former foreign minister of Canada, will introduce the Prosecutor.
- Jonathan Fanton (President, MacArthur Foundation)
- Moderator: Lloyd Axworthy (President, University of Winnipeg)
- Louise Arbour (United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights)
- Francis Deng (United Nations Special Adviser for Prevention of Genocide and Mass Atrocities)
- Juan Mendes (Director, International Center for Transitional Justice)
- Allan Rock, Former Canadian Ambassador to the United Nations
- Kenneth Roth (Executive Director, Human Rights Watch)
- Luis Moreno-Ocampo (Prosecutor, International Criminal Court)
- 9:00-9:40PM: Award ceremony and keynote address by Mr. Kofi Annan
How to Participate
- Via Second Life: Teleport to the International Justice Center, on the Justice Commons sim at this link
- Via the Web: streamed video during the event.
- Via There.com: Sign up here and attend the event at the stage zone.
- Via Whyville: you can attend the event live in the Greek Theater.
"Building Justice" Background Video on Human Rights and the United Nations
View a short video presentation about Human Rights, the International Criminal Court and Kofi Annan at this link. "Building Justice" examines the development of international justice through the lens of the new International Criminal Court and its first two cases from the Democratic Republic of Congo. Filmed on location in the D.R.Congo and The Hague, with survivors of crimes against humanity, justice activists, and ICC prosecutors, "Building Justice" shows how the criminal prosecution of individual perpetrators can help build an international justice system to end impunity. "Building Justice" is the work of Skylight Pictures in collaboration with The MacArthur Foundation, and draws on material from "The Reckoning" – a Skylight Pictures feature length documentary film and educational initiative about the International Criminal Court, to be released later this year.
How to Stay Informed of Future Events
- Join the IJC Google Group to receive updates via email.
Special thanks to the Vesuvius Group for coordinating the amazing build-out of the Justice Center and the Justice Commons sim! They went above and beyond the call to donate their services to the Justice Center. See their website at http://www.thevesuviusgroup.com.